International Seminar Rethinking West Asia
Moving Beyond the Revolutions
March 19-20, 2014 at
AZAD BHAVAN, SALT LAKE, KOLKATA Click for more details
INTERNATIONAL CONFERENCE INDIA’S ENGAGEMENT WITH BANGLADESH AND MYANMAR MARCH 6 AND MARCH 7 2014 AZAD BHAVAN, SALT LAKE, KOLKATA Click for more details
International Conference on "Margins" and "Marginal Communities" in the Asian Perspectives: Identity and Resistance during December 17-18, 2013 at Azad Bhavan. Click for more details
Conference on India and China in Southeast Asia Organised by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Kolkata and Association of Asia Scholars (AAS) date: November 24-25, 2013 Venue:AZAD BHAVAN, MAKAIAS, Kolkata Click for more details
International Conference on Understanding the Trajectories of the Contemporary Islam held during 12-13 November, 2013 a Azad Bhavan" Click for Conference Report by Md. Muddassir Quamar, JNU
International Conference Geographies of Globalization in Eurasia to be held on September 30 and October 1, 2013 in the Azad Bhavan, Salt Lake.Click for more details
International Seminar Program on "Maulana Abul Kalam Azad and Secularism in South Asia" being organized by Dhaka University, Bangladesh, RDC, Bangladesh and MAKAIAS, Kolkata at Dhaka University, Bangladesh on April 15- 16, 2013 Click for more details
International Symposium on 'India's Soft Power in Asia' on 15 th March 2013 Click for more details
International Seminar : Asia Perspectives 2013 entitled Beyond Strategies: Cultural Dynamics in Asian Connections during 13-14th March 2013 Click for more details
International Round Table on 'Indo - Nepal Relations' being organized by MAKAIAS on Friday, February 8, 2013 at Azad Bhavan, Salt Lake.
Click for more details
International Conference on “India’s Northeast: The Bridgehead between Myanmar and India” Date: 30 November - 2nd December 2012 Kohima, Nagaland by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute for Asian Studies (MAKAIAS), Kolkata Public Diplomacy Division, Ministry of External Affairs (GOI) & Government of Nagaland Click for more details
International Conference For Nation and Islam: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad in Retrospect to be organized by MAKAIAS on August 28-29, 2012 at Azad Bhavan, Salt Lake. Click here for details
International Symposium Ethical Imperatives?: Muslim Identities and Political Islam in colonial and postcolonial South Asia to be organized by MAKAIAS on August 30, 2012 at Azad Museum, Ashraf Mistri Lane, Kolkata.Click here for details
International Seminar: "North-East India in Transition: Tripura— the Commerce and Connectivity Corridor between India and Bangladesh" 26-27 April, 2012, at Tripura University Campus, Agartala, Tripura
Click for more details
International symposium:- Trans-Himalayan Buddhism: Re-connecting spaces, sharing concerns 14 March, 2012 (Afternoon) Venue: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies Salt Lake Campus Kolkata Please click here for more details
The State in Eurasia Performance in local and global arenas March15-16, 2012 Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies Please click here for more details
International Conference: "Power, Alliances and Frameworks in South and Southeast Asia" 21-22 March 2012, MAKAIAS, Azad Bhavan, IB-166, Salt Lake, Kolkata 700 106
International Symposium: "Securing Global Commons in the Indo-Pacific" 23 March 2012, MAKAIAS, Azad Bhavan, IB-166, Salt Lake, Kolkata 700 106
International Seminar On Interpreting the Arab Spring Significance of the New Arab Awakening February 16-17, 2012 Organized by MAKAIAS at Azad Bhavan Salt Lake Please click here for more details
February 8-9, 2012 :International Seminar on "From Bonn'01 to Bonn'11: Debating Afghanistan's Political Future", with Jamia Millia Islamia University, New Delhi Please click here for more details
International Conference on ‘Energy and Strategy: Contemporary Asia’, jointly organized by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies- Institute of Foreign Policy Studies, University of Calcutta, Date: 7th September, 2011, Venue: Kolkata >>>> Click here for more details.
• International Conference on "Dynamics of Political Change in India's Neighbourhood" Date : 09-10 March 2011 Venue : MAKAIAS, Azad Bhavan, IB -166, Salt Lake. Kolkata 7000106. Click here for details....
•International Seminar:Eurasia Twenty Years After 1991: In retrospect February 15-17, 2011 at Azad Bhavan, IB 166, Salt Lake, Kolkata 700 106 Organized by: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, Kolkata. click here for details....
•International Conference Perspectives on West Asia Its evolution as an area of study in the changing geopolitical discourses 17-18 January 2011. Venue: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies Click here for Concept note .....
• International Conference: RETHINKING INTERNATIONAL INTERVENTION IN AFGHANISTAN Organised by Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies Kolkata and Indian Council of World Affairs New Delhi 6-7 January, 2011 VENUE: ICWA, SAPRU HOUSE, NEW DELHI
•Inaugural International Conference: RETHINKING INDIA AND CHINA: India China Knowledge and Capacity Building Initiative (ICKCBI) A Ford Foundation supported multi-year project Co-sponsored by University of Calcutta, Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies (MAKAIAS), Yunnan University and India China Institute, The New School August 24-25, 2010 Venue: Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies, IB 166,Sector 3,Salt Lake,Kolkata-700106
• Dr. Swarupa Gupta, Fellow, MAKAIAS, delivered an international invited Single Lecture: 'Religious Travel, Place-Making and Social Collectivity: Connected Spaces in Bengal, India and Beyond, c. 1850-1927', at Sudasien Institut, University of Heidelberg, on 9 July 2010
• Dr. Swarupa Gupta, Fellow MAKAIAS, presented a paper entitled: 'Scholarly Networks, Interconnections between Universities and Ideas about Nationhood in Bengal: Beyond the Binary of Imperial Metropolis and Colony', in an International Conference on 'Scholarly Networks in the British Empire: Transnational and Imperial Connections after 1850' at Wadham College, University of Oxford, on 5 July, 2010
• The Institute organized an international Conference on "India and South-East Asia: Promising Future?" during March 28-29, 2010 at Hotel Golden Park, Kolkata.
• The Institute organized an international Conference on "India and South-East Asia: Promising Future?" during March 28-29, 2010 at Hotel Golden Park, Kolkata.
• International conference entitled, “India and her Neighbourhoods” on 27th – 29th March 2010 in Kolkata
• International Seminar on "Communities, Institutions and 'Transition' in post 1991 Eurasia" was organized by MAKAIAS during February 22-24, 2010 at Azad Bhavan, MAKAIAS, IB-166, Sector III, Salt Lake, Kolkata, 700 106
• Dr Swarupa Gupta, Fellow, MAKAIAS, gave an invited presentation: 'Images and Impressions of South East Asia in Bengali Travel Narratives during the Late Colonial Period', in an International Conference/Seminar, organised by the Centre for South and South East Asian Studies (University of Calcutta) in collaboration with Maulana Azad Institute of Asian Studies, held at Calcutta University on 9 January, 2010
• International Seminar on "Connectivity between India and her Eastern Neighbours: Emerging Physical, Economic and Cultural Networks" organized by MAKAIAS in collaboration with the Centre for south and southeast Asian Studies, University of Calcutta, at the Centre for studies in Social Sciences and Humanities, University of Calcutta, 10th Floor, Alipore Campus, Kolkata 700 027 on January 8-9, 2010.
• International Seminar on "India's Effective Look East Policy" was organized by MAKAIAS, in collaboration with Society for Indian Ocean Studies, Kolkata on December 19, 2009, at the Centre for South and Southeast Asian Studies, University of Calcutta, Kolkata.
• International Seminar on "Understanding Israel/Palestine Question: Resonences in the Politics of West Asia" organized by MAKAIAS in collaboration with the Centre for Pakistan and West Asia Studies, University of Calkutta, on December 18, 2009.
• An International Conference on “India Southeast Asia Relationship: Strategic Engagements and Regional Integration” organized by MAKAIS in collaboration with University of Social Sciences and Humanities its, Ho chi Minh City, Vietnam held during May 15-16 2009 at Vietnam. The MAKAIAS delegation to the Conference consisted of Professor Jayanta Kumar Roy, Sri. Krishnan Srinivasan, Sri. P.S. Sahai and Dr. Binoda Kumar Mishra.
• An International Seminar on “Indigenisation of Afghan Reconstruction: Challenges and Opportunities” was organized by MAKAIAS in Collaboration with Jamia Millia Islamia University during March 18-19, 2009.
• An International Conference on “Cooperative Development, Peace and Security in South and Central Asia” was organized by MAKAIAS on March 1, 2009 in collaboration with Centre for research in Rural and Industrial Development (CRRID), Chandigarh and Global India Foundation (GIF) at Kolkata in the Auditorium, Institute of Chemical Engineers, Jadavpur University. The inaugural address of the conference was delivered by Sri. Pranab Mukherjee, Ministry of External Affairs, GOI.
• An International Symposium on “Writing History in Eurasia: The Soviet State and After” Organized by MAKAIAS on February 7, 2009 at the Seminar Hall of the Institute.
• An International Symposium on “Cotemporary Challenges of Official Policy anti globalization in
Siberia and the Russian Far East’ was organized by MAKAIAS in collaboration with the Department of History University of Calcutta on February 6, 2009 at the Department of it History, University of Calcutta.
• An International Seminar on “Eurasian Perspectives: In Search of Alternatives” organized by: MAKAIAS on February 4-5, 2009 at Kolkata.
• An International Workshop on “Myanmar’s Contribution to Building the ASEAN Community” held at Yangon during December 8-9, 2008 organized by the Myanmar Institute of Strategic and International Studies, Yangon. Professor Jayanta Kumar Roy, Chairman, Executive Council; MAKAIAS participated in the Workshop on invitation.
• Professor Ashis Kumar Roy, Professor Suranjan Das and Dr. P.K. Sengupta took an official trip to Mauritius, during December 11-14, 2008 as the Institute’s delegates.
• A delegation from the Maulana Abul Kalam Azad Institute of Asian Studies (MAKAIAS) visited Dali (Yunnan Province), China (PRC) during November 5-9, 2008 (i) to participate in the Kolkata to-Kunning Forum (K2K) Conference at Dali during November 5-8, 2008; (ii) to examine the possibilities of concluding a MOU with Yunnan Academy of Sciences or the Institute of South Asian Studies of the Yunnan Academy of Sciences to develop a program of translation and research of mutual interest to China and India. The MAKAIAS delegation comprised of Sri. Krishnan Srinivasan, Professor Bhara Roy, Dr. Amiya K. Chaudhuri, Dr. Binoda Kumar Mishra, Sri Soumya Kanti Mitra, Sri. Falguni Motilal and Sri. K.P.V. Nair. The main objective of the K2K programme is to build mutually beneficial economic-cultural relations between Kolkata and Kunning. The initiative has to be viewed in the larger framework of the Government of India’s “Look East Policy” and the need to build cooperation between Bangladesh, Bhutan, Nepal, Myanmar, Thailand China and India.
• Dr. Swapna Bhattacharya (Chakrabarti) Fellow of the Institute undertook a Field trip to Myanmar during October 6-24, 2008 in connection with her ongoing project “The Rakhine State of Myanmar (Arakan): Relations with South Asia in the 20th Century and the present Scenario.”
• A Delegation from MAKAIAS- Professor jayanta Kumar Roy, Professor Hari Vasudevan, Dr P. K. Sengupta, Professor Suranjan Das, Professor O. P Mishra visited the Russian Federation to discuss the possibilities of MOU with Diplomatic Academy (Ministry of External Affairs, Russia) and to sign the MOU with the Institute of Oriental Studies (IOS); also the delegation visited other Institutions with a view to plan the Institute’s program for the year of India in Russia.
• Professor H. S. Vasudevan, Director, MAKAIAS and Professor Jayanta Kumar Roy, Chairnan, executive Council, MAKAIAS participated in the International Oriental Studies Conference in Ulan Ude during September l7-22, 2008
• An International Workshop on “Southern Silk Route historical Links and Contemporary Convergences was organized by MAKAIAS in collaboration with Asian Scholarship Foundation, Bangkok, Thailand and Centre for South and Southeast Asian Studies, Kolkata and ORF India China Centre, during 14 August 2-4, 2008 at Ramkrishna Mission Institute of Culture, Kolkata.
• Dr. Swapna Bhattacharya (Chakraborti) Fellow, MAKAIAS participated at the 20th European Conference on “Modern South Asia Studies”, at the University of Manchester, during July 8-11, 2008.
• Dr. Swapna Bhattacharya (Chakraborti) visited Germany during July, 2008 to work at the South Asia Institute (Suedasian Institute), University of Heidelberg in connection with her ongoing project “on the Rakhine State of Myanmar (Arakan): Relations with South Asia in the 20th Century and the Present Scenario”.
• Dr, Suchandana Chatterjee, Fellow, MAKAIAS was invited by the Siberian Studies Centre, Max Planck Institute of Social Anthropology (MPI), Halle to deliver a talk on “Siberia Tangled Histories” on June 10, 2008.
• Ms. Arpita Basu Fellow, MAKAIAS, formed a part of the Government of India delegation to Kabul during May 30 to June 2, 2008, to open dialogue with their Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Government of Afghanistan and also presented a paper entitled “Role of Afghan Women in Society Women’s Empowerment and Peace Building”.
• Ms. Arpita Basu Fellow, MAKAIAS, participated in an International Seminar at New Delhi on “Reconstruction Process in Afghanistan” organized by the School of International Studies, JNU on April 23-24, 2008. Ms. Arpita Basu Roy also presented a paper on “Challenges of Peace Building’ in Contemporary Afghanistan”.
• Dr. Anita Sengupta, Fellow, MAKAIAS attended an International Seminar on “India and Central Asia: Renewal of Historical-Cultural Ties on a New Basis in the Contemporary Context” at Gwalior, India during March 8-10, 2008 and presented a paper entitled “Central Asian Geopolitics”.
• A Two - Day International Indology Seminar, “Central Asia-India Dialogue: Building a Partnership on the Foundation of Rich Cultural and Historical Heritage” held at ‘Tashkent on March 14-15, 2008 and was attended by Professor Jayanta Kumar Roy, Professor H.S. Vasudevan, Professor Suranjan Das, Professor O.P. Mishra, Professor M. Hassan and Professor A.K. Roy from MAKAIAS.
• Kaushik Bandyopadhyay, Fellow, MAKAIAS attended undertook a trip to U.K to participate and present a paper entitled “Uncovering the Sleeping Giant Syndrome: India in Olympic Football” at an international Conference on “Olympic Legacies” held at St. Anthony’s College, Oxford University on March 29-30, 2008.
• Professor H. S. Vasudevan, Director, MAKAIAS attended an International Conference on ‘Regional Cooperation as a development “Tool in Eurasia” and delivered a lecture on “Indian Perspectives on Eurasia” on March 27-29, 2008
• Dr. Anita Sengupta, Fellow, MAKAIAS attended an International Conference on “Regional Cooperation as a Development Tool in Eurasia” and presented a paper on “The Geopolitics of Borders and its Performative Role in Uzbekistan” during March 27-29, 2008 at New Delhi, India.
• Professor Jayanta Kumar Roy, Chairman, Executive Council, MAKAIAS and Dr. Pradip Sengupta, Consultant (F&A), MAKAIAS made a trip to Copenhagen, on March 19-23, 2008 on an invitation from The Danish School of Education, University of Aarhus, for a discussion on academic collaboration between the two Institutions and signing a Memorandum of Agreement.
• An International Seminar on “India-Myanmar Relations: Dynamics and Issues” was organized by MAKAIAS in collaboration with the Myanmar Institute of Strategic and International Studies (MISIS) during February 26-27, 2008 at Hotel Astor, Kolkata.
• An International Seminar on “Russia in Asia: Envisaging Partnerships and Communities in Eurasia and Assessing the Role of Siberia” was organized by MAKAIAS in collaboration with the Institute of History, Academy of Sciences, Novosibirsk, during February 13-15, 2008 at Hotel Hyatt Regency, Kolkata.
• Dr. Binoda Kumar Mishra, Fellow, MAKAIAS attended and participated in a Conference on “Diaspora in Comparative Perspective” organized by the University of Putra, Malaysia and Global Organization of Peoples of Indian Origin (GOPIO) during December l4-16, 2007.
• MAKAIAS scholars and Fellows visited Kabul, Afghanistan on an exploratory trip during October 21-27, 2007 to study the process of Political, Economic and Social Transition in Afghanistan and to explore the possibilities of constructive academic engagements between the two countries.
• Ms. Arpita Basu Roy, Fellow, MAKAIAS, attended and participated in an International Seminar or Political Roles of Religious Communities in South Asia-Pakistan” in Islamabad on October 29-30, 2007 organized by the Islamabad Policy Research Institute (IPRI) in collaboration with the Institute for Security and Development Policy (ISDP), Sweden.
• Ms. Arpita Basu Roy, Fellow, MAKAIAS pursued a study trip during October 27 November 5, 2007 in Islamabad and collected research materials from IPRI, The Institute of Strategic Studies (ISS) and the Quaid-e-Azam University.
• A group of Fellow from MAKAIAS, undertook an exploratory trip to three Southeast Asian Countries, viz. Thailand, Cambodia and Laos during September 25- October 3, 2007 to explore prospects for joint academic research.
• Dr. Suchandana Chatterjee and Dr. Anita Sengupta, Fellows, MAKAIAS attended the ESCASX Conference organized by Middle East Technical University, Ankara, Turkey during September 12-15, 2007 on the theme “Central Asia: Sharing Experiences and Prospects” and presented papers on the topics “Profiling Inner Asia: In the Trail of the Merchent, the Artist and the Ghumakkar” and “Imagining Central Asia: The Geopolitics of Naming” respectively.